One of my students asked me to design a Putting Routine for him. This helped him and will help you.
1. TARGET SPOT: Look past the hole 2′ for level putt, more for an uphill putt or short of the hole for a downhill putt. Once you have your TARGET SPOT, imagine the ball rolling to it and remember this visualization for recall later.
2. GRIP: Grip the putter and lock the back wrist bent in a little. This will have the handle leading the club face.
3. HANG: Let all this “Hang” (Keeping back wrist locked).
4. SPOT: Pick a spot 6″ in front of the ball on a straight target line that compensates for the break (if any)
5. ALIGN: Walk up to the ball with arms hanging, and use your feet to snuggle up to the ball just inside your front foot (club still off the ground), align club face to your 6″ spot and “sit down” . When you look down, you should see the handle on, or slightly ahead of the ball and the club face just behind the ball. Do not touch the ground!
4. PINCH: This is very important: Pinch your knees towards each other and hold tightly for the entire stroke (this take practice).
5. TARGET SPOT: Look at your original spot from #1 and RECALL the ball rolling to get the speed needed for the stroke and think to yourself… “PUSH DOWN, PULL UP*” that will give you the feel for the speed you need.
6. BALL & GO: Look back at the ball AND GO!… PUSH DOWN, PULL UP* without moving your wrists or lower body or head.
7. Once the ball is gone, Look up and enjoy seeing the ball rolling on your line at the speed you needed and the ball going in the hole.
You must practice without any other thoughts. As you internalize these concepts, begin to replace with the “Bold Keywords”. The ritual of the Keywords does not allow any room for non-productive thoughts. You must listen to yourself, trust yourself, trust your routine. The more you practice this the more it will replace the old thoughts… Ross
* Push Down, Pull Up – is using the front shoulder only for your source of power. Push Down (front shoulder pushes down), Pull Up (front shoulder pulls straight up).