Plane of the backswing

Home Forums The Swing The Backswing Plane of the backswing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

JoeJacksonQ Aug 24, 2014
    Hello,

My question is what swing plane is the club on per your method?

Shoulder Level
    Between shoulder and neck
    or combination based on the club

Also

Should I be upright (like two plane)
    Should I be more bent over (like one plane)
    something else

Clarification or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

JoeJacksonQ

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 25, 2014
    Hi JoeJacksonQ
    First, with my method, there is no need for the term “swing plane”. Swing plane sends a signal to the brain, like an area that you will need to control… like a place you can take your hands/arms/club so things are “right”. It does not exist. There are too many non-repeatable levers (hands, wrists, elbows, arms, shoulders, spine tilt etc.) to ever be consistent. Every club and shot (condition) will dictate a different plane.

Second, your setup should be Athletic. Bent over is the worst possible thing anyone can do in golf …for any shot …period! You can’t maintain it… the body wants to “right itself” during the swing… and you can hurt your back (because the lower back muscles are trying to keep you “out of balance”).

The most repeatable method is to setup Athletically (I have many videos and posts on this) and Balanced… then use the Shoulders turning around your spine to control the arms/club (as you keep the club face square), for the backswing… and then the body’s rotation unwinding, for the downswing. You are starting to see more and more tour players trying to using rotation for more consistency. The big key is to keep the hands out, so the Large Muscles can take over.

Jimbohaw Aug 25, 2014
    Ross, when I was watching Jason Day this past weekend, I thought his swing looked like what you teach (except for his wrist action). If you just watch his shoulder turn, the resisting of his hips, and then the rotation of the body, he looks a lot like your videos. Of course he rotates his wrists, but if you watch everything else, it looks a lot like the Ross method. And he hits it far!

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 25, 2014
    Yes, very close… especially the little pre-shot move he makes just before he takes his backswing… it is all shoulders (moving the arms and club as one piece)… then on the real takeaway, he uses his shoulders to move the arms/club. Then on the downswing, you see a lot of body turn, but since he hinged, he needs to release, so the body pauses a bit. He has a great golf swing.

Hunter too. He has been close for years, but he too hinges and opens the club face, hence the shots missed to the right, when he does not get the club back to square in time, because he rolled the face open (on the backswing) and his rotation leaves the arms/hands behind a bit and he can’t get the face square in time.

JoeJacksonQ Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks – I like your method and now can eliminate based on your clarification.

It was mention above of downswing by shoulders…..I thought it was the hips or is a thought to execute downswing.

Upon your response I will do more drills and make a video for analysis soon…thanks again.[smile]

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 26, 2014
    It is the hips or body that start the downswing JoeJacksonQ. The downswing unwinds from ground up, just like throwing a ball. You want to find what works for you. You do NOT start the downswing with the shoulders. The shoulders are done when the backswing ends. I rewrote a little bit of (post #4) since it could be misinterpreted as you did (sorry). Please re-read.

JoeJacksonQ Aug 27, 2014
    Good Stuff……will do work via the drills.

Tallguy Apr 26, 2015
    Ross: I’ve been reading a lot about Teaching pros advocating the left or lead shoulder turning “Down” toward the ball in the backswing. In Fact, My teaching pro advocated me doing this since I’m very tall and have a tendency to “Stand Up” in the backswing. Should I think of this or try to turn the shoulders perfectly level in the backswing? Thanks!

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 26, 2015
    I’ve found that when you try to move the front shoulder down, you’re dead. That move, does not wind around the spine and causes other issues. The Large Muscles Drill, shows how the shoulders turn around the spine, when upright. Then, you have to take that same feeling of turning around your spine, and do it once you’re setup and there is a bit of “tilt” to your spine. Takes practice, but there is a freedom turning the shoulders around the spine when done correctly. If it feels “labored” or you can’t turn the shoulders very far, you’re probably not turning them correctly. You can also feel your back shoulder “pull” towards your spine (not up). You want to get this down, because every club is a different length and your spine angle will change a little between clubs.

aminogrp Mar 30, 2016
    Ross wrote:
    It is the hips or body that start the downswing JoeJacksonQ. The downswing unwinds from ground up, just like throwing a ball. You want to find what works for you. You do NOT start the downswing with the shoulders. The shoulders are done when the backswing ends. I rewrote a little bit of (post #4) since it could be misinterpreted as you did (sorry). Please re-read.

i have the same problem regarding the downsing..i move hips and for some reason I go steep and over the top..any suggestion

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Mar 30, 2016
    Nothing else that has not been said without seeing a video. There are many, many things (combinations of things), that can go on during the backswing, that can cause issues.

Unfortunately, terms like “steep” and “over-the-top” are too general to have a simple answer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.