I just sent this (and a video) to an online student for their Swing Analysis and I thought, there are some get concepts here, I’m going to just post it! So hope you find a nugget or two… Ross
Here are some key points for you to improve your golf swing:
1. Setup with you elbows closer together and keep them that way during the swing (feel them pinching a little).
2. Allow your arms and club to hang closer to your body, so you can sit down (not reach out). Try to get the look of a quarterback. A ready, not reaching or leaning out.
3. Play the ball just inside your front foot so you can learn to turn on your left side. As the clubs get shorter, the back foot gets closer to the front, the ball does not move back.
4. Use your shoulders to wind your arms and club around your spine. Do not to add the little extra arm lift at the top.
5. Once the shoulder turn is finish, start the downswing using your hips/thighs to unwind all the way to face the target. Knees will be touching and you will be in balance. Your body rotation unwinding, pulls your arms/club back down in front of your body and around to the left (right hander)
Now once you learn to turn, you will see much more power, but if you continue to use your hands, the ball will go left. Keep your hands passive and use your turn to hit and the ball will be long and straight. Please let me know how you are doing and if you have any questions.
What’s a “Chop”? On the downswing, stopping the body mid-way to brace so the hands can “Chop” or hit at the ball. This is how most amateurs swing. It is not powerful or reliable. This is also why amateurs play the ball in the middle of their stance (Wrong!).
Most golfers have never felt a free-wheeling athletic golf swing because they think they need to do something at impact with their hands. A better way … Keep your hands passive during the swing and let your turn hit the ball. This move is how all other sports work. So why is golf different? Again, if the ball is in the middle of your stance, you will HAVE TO USE YOUR HANDS TO KEEP FROM HITTING THE GROUND.
Once a golfer moves the ball inside the front foot and just unwinds to face the target… the golf swing is so much easier, more powerful and repeatable. But, if you never move it forward, you will never experience the free-wheeling feeling of just turning as hard as you like and the ball just gets in the way and is always hit solid and straight. Unless… your hands try to help, then the ball is PULLED or HOOKS. Keep your hands out of the swing and turn as hard as you like (with the ball position just inside your front foot) and golf is FUN!*….Ross
*Now with Driver, the club face is in line with the front toe, with the ball teed up about 2″ forward (a 2″gap between club face and ball) so you hit it on the upswing and get 40 yards of extra roll… (another post)
This video will help you feel what Impact should feel like using the Large Muscles to control your golf swing. It will also let you learn how to continue through to the finish using these Large Muscles. This move replaces using your hands as the source of power to hit at the ball. In a powerful solid golf shot, The ball is “Trapped” by the whole body turning through to the finish (not slapped at by the hands).