Same length clubs

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Same length clubs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RAM Apr 23, 2016
    How do you feel about the same length shaft thru out the bag, and also the idea of an oversize grip to help take the hands (flip) out of impact?

Thanks
    RAM
    Starting year 3 using your method, its getting better all the time!

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 23, 2016
    I honestly have not heard enough from golfer’s that have tried. Again, it will be trade-offs. Gain accuracy lose distance. My method already hits the ball pretty straight once learned, so losing distance (for no gain) does not make sense to me.

Interesting story: One of the biggest problems with Jr. Camps in general is kind of the same concept (same length – too short for the loft) and one of the reasons many kids don’t like golf, or struggle at first. The golf courses/pros think it is okay to take a bunch of unmatched, lost and found golf clubs… cut them down to fit the kids, then teach them for a week. Just try to hit a 3 iron, cut down to a 7 iron length.

Now, I know the “new” same length clubs are not cut down and the shafts probably adjust some and are designed for the lower lofted clubs, but the geometry scares me. I can see golfers over swinging for more distance. Also, I’m thinking the trajectories will be lower, because of the lack of shaft length to help get the ball up, so it can drop out of the sky on the the green.

Oversized Grip:
    I would just experiment with an oversize grip on one of your clubs to see if it helps or hurts your game.

forum Apr 24, 2016
    This is a related question regarding what is the optimum position of the hands on the grip? One could choke up or move the hands higher on the grip and still get into a proper set-up by adjusting knee flex and distance from the ball.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 24, 2016
    If I understand the question correctly… yes you can (and should), choke up or down to adjust for the shot needed.

First, never grip the club on the “end” of the shaft. There is usually an inch or so just before the end of the grip that “flares” out and you want to be under that flare for control. Now, gripping lower really has no limit depending on the shot needed. Many times around the green (in a precarious lie), I’ve had to choke down so far, I’ve gripped SW below the grip on the shaft, to get the shaft angle and face exactly how I need it, so the ball will respond accordingly.

The key to what you said (knee flex and distance from the ball) is just following the “routine”. Once you’ve gripped the club for your needs… get your arm template set, let it hang… then sit “balanced” and “athletic” down to the ball. This allows you to turn your shoulders freely, still rotate and swing in balance.

An example of what not to do: The ball is way above your feet, so you just lift your arms up as to take a baseball swing. That rarely ever works for many reasons [frown]. If you choke way down on the club, you can stand a lot closer to the ball and it will be much more like a regular swing. Now, you’re not going to get maximum distance, but you will know where the ball is going and be out of trouble. So you “took your medicine*” and you can then make it up on the next shots.

* “Took your medicine” a saying I heard as a kid that meant… okay you got yourself into trouble, now “get out of trouble first”, then move on with playing the hole. The “Hero” type shots are rarely pulled of by amateurs… so “take your medicine”, “get out of trouble”, “forget about what just happened”… then focus on the present… how to capitalize from where ever the ball lies.

megolf70 Apr 28, 2016

Hello Ross,
    I have a set of clubs that are all the same length by 1iron golf. They all have the same exact swing weight and feel the same with each loft. The set up is the same for each iron. Since working with your swing my consistency with each loft has improved tremendously.
    The yardage gap from 9 iron to 3 iron is progressively consistent up the ladder. Granted I use a 9 iron now where I used to use a PW, but since the clubs are fitted to my height my accuracy is dead on when I remember to use the pre-shot routine you advocate.

I have one question for you. What do you recommend when the shot calls for a faster swing? (meaning when you want increased distance for a certain shot). When I try to increase distance with driver or any club for that matter I seem to pull it left. Do you think I should try to unwind faster?

Thanks,
    Megolf70

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 28, 2016
    If the ball goes left (and you’re right handed), you either used your back hand to help (flipped), or your arms got ahead of the body rotation. Answer: Make sure your rotation DOMINATES and lead the arms/club or… it might be easier to just use more club, or be satisfied with what you can do with the club in your hand.

Usually, it is all an amateur can do, to hit the ball straight, let alone try to add “When a shot calls for a faster swing”… to the equation. If you’ve practiced “increasing” your swing, then go for it, but most have not and don’t have that option in their bag… so, play the shot you know and make up whatever you need on a different shot on the hole… like chip closer… or, making a longer putt. What I’m saying is, play within your ability and you get what you get. Don’t stretch it, unless you’ve put in the time and have the shot.

megolf70 Apr 28, 2016
    Now that makes sense. It really doesn’t matter if I reach the green with a PW or 8 iron as long as I am on the green. Thank you for your ever fantastic take on the game. You have made this journey so much easier.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.