Front Arm and Downswing

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Front Arm and Downswing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anthony225 Jun 13, 2020
    Ross,
    Is it optimal to “feel” a straight front Arm and wrist being pulled down by the body in the downswing through impact and around to the left (right handed golfer)? I get a feeling that trying to make each arm feel equal leads to the right hand taking over and flipping a little or causing less accurate shots. Maybe use less grip pressure with the back hand while keeping it bent back?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jun 13, 2020
    The Front arm will be straight (as possible) at setup, all the way to the top of the backswing (sometimes a little bend okay at top as long as it straightens back up on the downswing, and through impact (with front elbow pointing back at front hip), then it bends just after impact with the front elbow pointing down.

I think it is important at setup, for the grip pressure to be equal. My hands/wrists feel like an “bubble” to me holding the grip with equal pressure. That feeling is carried via the shoulder turn to the top of the backswing, still equal and then back down through to the finish where the grip finally relaxes. I actually feel the grip/arms/shoulders are a “triangle” or “template” that is one unit, moved by the shoulders (backswing)… then the body’s rotation on the downswing.

Anthony225 Jun 14, 2020
    Thanks Ross. Another question…..in that grip bubble, do you also try to hold the slight hinge angle established at setup during the entire swing? This is the hinge established at setup due to our arms being under the shoulders and not straight out towards the ball.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jun 14, 2020
    I do hold the angle created by the shaft being inline with the front arm and back wrist hinged in slightly, BUT you do not want to have an angle created by forcing your arms to be straight down under your shoulders. This is a tough concept. I know I have a lesson video on arms under shoulders and once you’ve setup with the shaft inline with the front arm, and let the arms/club now “hang”, the hands/arms will drop on top of the pec muscles. With shorter clubs (SW, W, PW etc.) they’ll be more under the shoulders, but with longer clubs not so much. The main reason for the Lesson Video is to tell students to NOT lift their arms up or out. It is also important that you do not try to create an extreme angle with the writs bent down in at the back of the thumbs, because, the club shaft during the swing will straighten that angle out, and you can’t maintain that angle. Sorry for the confusion. Best bet is to just start with the club shaft inline with the front arm, let the arms/club hang, the sit down to the ball.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.