Checking the balance of a new golf ball

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Checking the balance of a new golf ball

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gazzagtnz Jan 05, 2018
    Have you read or know About the balancing of a golf ball ? If so do you know how to perform this type of operation ?. New balls from the major manufacturers can be out of balance and could play havac off the fairway and more so on the putting surface. Your comments please.
    I know you normally do not comment on clubs but does this apply to the all important ball.If the ball is not balanced at the striking with the club are we not starting behind the ape ball. Iam researching this topic at the moment as part of my quest for a single figure handicap and if I come up with a solution would you object if I shared this with you and fellow forum readers.Your comments please.
    gazzagtnz.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jan 05, 2018
    Yes. If I recall, I originally read about it in Dave Pelz book Putt Like the Pros. You float and spin a golf ball in a salt/water solution and the ball will eventually balance out with the heaviest area at the bottom. You then make a mark with a sharpe on the heaviest spot*. The idea then is to place the ball on the ground with the spot on the bottom so the ball will roll end over end and stay on line better. If the heavy spot is not placed end over end, it could cause the ball to move off line because it is lop-sided and out of balance. That’s the best of my recollection.

* You could also draw a line around the circumference through the heaviest spot.

gazzagtnz Jan 05, 2018
    Hi Ross ….Thanks for your info.. Still researching this topic. Will look for Mr Pelz book on this balancing of golf balls before play..I hope manufacturers are looking at themselves with regard to improving there product to eliminate these imperfections just as the club makers strive to give us the best of clubs to play this game.
    Gary Nz…..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.