wrists again

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A wrists again

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

robert Aug 07, 2017
    From Australia, new member, am seeing improvements and think that I’m understanding the concepts so thanks and g’day there. Some thoughts here – Really like to watch Trevino down the line tucking that bent right elbow in and rotating the hips. Thanks for the info on trapping the ball, holding the shape of the squeezed elbows and rotating. These are working for me. Using the hands and wrists has kept me in the golfing horrors for years. And happy to be free of the effort of the weight shift as that also causes much trouble.

I think I understand the setting of the wrists concept. At the top of the back swing would you agree that the left wrist (right handed golfer) “cocks” a little, automatically, thus producing a slight angle at the wrist between the club shaft and left forearm? I can keep the two in line generally, but at the top the weight of the club tends to “cock” the wrists slightly and automatically. I don’t try to do this. Back at impact the wrists are at setup. Am I correct wit this situation? Thanking you Ross.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 08, 2017
    Thanks for becoming a Member! There has been much discussion on wrist hinging here in the forum and some blog posts too (just search and you’ll find).

In general… if you hinge, you’ll have to unhinge and that usually turns into a flip and a miss hit… and you don’t gain anything by hinging, SINCE we don’t throw the club through impact, we rotate and trap the ball with the entire body. We want a nice solid shaft in line with the front arm, and flat to bowed out front wrist, while making contact with the ball.

Now you can do anything you want… if you can hinge into the right impact position at the top of the backswing, and then hold that back down into impact, GREAT… but most hinge the face wide open, then get the opposite reaction on the downswing, and end up flipping for a non solid, miss hit because they’re trying to square the face on the downswing.

robert Aug 08, 2017
    Thank you. I understand. Fixing the club/arm, Ross move etc and rotating is working wonders. All other instruction material up till now has managed to complicate matters. Will keep working and will let you know the results in time. Thanks again.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 09, 2017
    That’s great to hear Robert. Make sure you give it time to incorporate.

Participant

This is a mentality that takes a long time to change to conviction. I advise you continue to play and practice to keep the WRISTS intact from setup to impact and through. It is working for me. Your peers and pros will continue to challenge this. Please resist and keep the left wrist bowed and avoid flip or flop. I write out of experience. It works perfectly for ball striking.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for your dedication and testimonials. This is such an important part of a reliable golf swing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.