Wrist Hinge

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Wrist Hinge

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anthony225 Jan 04, 2019
    Ross,
    At setup there is an initial wrist hinge. I know that with your method we don’t consciously add wrist hinge during the swing, but is it expected that the initial wrist hinge be maintained in the backswing and downswing to impact? The weather right now doesn’t let me experiment on the range to see how this works out.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jan 04, 2019
    The initial setup is not a wrist hinge. It is just the shaft in line with the front arm* and the back wrist bent inward to help hold that shape. This is also how the shaft and wrists should look later on in the swing, moving through impact, for a solid golf shot. You don’t bend or hinge your wrists to get into this position. You just take your grip with the shaft in line.

Yes, you just maintain the initial setup position in the backswing and back down through impact and it will eventually release on it’s own after impact.

* The shaft in line with the front arm, should create a flat front wrist. This may even increase to bowed out due to dynamics of the downswing.

Anthony225 Jan 04, 2019
    The reason I ask is because when I set up to the ball with arms under my shoulders there is an angle between my left forearm and the club. My hands are beneath my shoulders and the ball is further away. If I keep my left arm completely straight I would need to raise my wrists a little or stand a lot taller to set the club head behind the ball. To make by left arm completely straight would make the setup like Bryson which is not your method.

So maybe the correct word is not hinge. So do you hold the slight angle described above throughout the swing?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jan 05, 2019
    Yes, we are trying to maintain this setup angle during the backswing, and back down into and through impact*. Watch The duplessisgolf Setup (in the setup section). Some of my students let their front wrist raise up a bit at setup and some don’t and are both successful.

BTW, the shaft of the golf club bends down through impact raising the wrists up a bit due to inertia anyway.

* Many golfers feel the need to hinge so they can throw the club head at the ball for more power. Hinging and throwing causes many problems. If you learn to maintain the setup position on the backswing and back through impact you’ll be much more successful with solidness and direction.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.