Wedges

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Matt Feb 16, 2021
    Ross,

Noticed on your videos regarding chipping/pitching that you are choked down on your wedges considerably. Was this done for demonstration purposes or is this your personal choice?

Is there ever a reason to move the ball a little further back in the stance when using wedges, or does our stance just get more narrow?

I find the lead shoulder down/up method works well with putting and I am hoping for the same with chipping.

Thanks for your time,

Matt

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Feb 16, 2021
    #1 – I choke down on many clubs for different reasons. The main reason is for control and altering the shaft length for different distances and results. Other reasons may be to keep the ball low… as in taking extra club, then choking down to keep it low out of the wind or to roll once it hits the green. Another reason is in a bunker to offset the amount I adjusted my feet down, as I secured my stance.

#2 – Not really using my methods. When you move the ball back, you descend down on the ball creating spin and not as solid of a shot. Spin is unpredictable. There are better ways. I prefer meeting the ball just slightly before the bottom of the swing arc and use gravity to control how the ball descends and then responds. It is more like tossing a ball and choosing the angle you want it to hit the green to respond the way you want.

#3 – The down/up method for chipping will work well, but chipping is limited and not as reliable as pitching (my preferred shot around the green).

Ross

Matt Feb 16, 2021
    Ross,

Thank you for your timely response. The shoulder down/up method incorporated in your putting/wedges is a very simplistic cue for me and I have found it very applicable. Is there any reason why this cannot be used in the full swing dynamics. I know your method employs the left shoulder down when taking the club back, but how about the left shoulder up when using the hips/body to rotate, or will this keep you from rotating around to the left?…..Or are we getting too technical here??

I have paid particular attention to your set up as it seems to be somewhat different than orthodox/conventional teaching methods. To me, I am just now understanding how the shaft inline with the front arm is REALLY supposed to be. It is more than just a slight forward press. When keeping your head stationary/back, the feel for ME is that the club is in front of my lead foot. You seem to almost bow your left wrist toward the target and pressed further away from your head…Almost like you are trying to extend your hands away from the rest of your body. Also notice that your trail foot is almost leaning toward the target to keep you stable and from sliding. Do you feel that the hips lead the arms and hands in the downswing or that the body/hands and arms kind of go together as you make downswing transition?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Feb 16, 2021
    You do not want to try to use the shoulder down/up method for full swing. That is just for putting/chipping. In the full swing the shoulders rotate around the spine. Watch the “Shoulder Turn” Lesson video in the Swing Section to clarify. The front shoulder does not move down on full swing.

The downswing unwinds from ground up. The hips are leading the arms and bringing the arms back down and around. Watch the Ross Move to learn how the body’s rotation brings the arms/club back down and around. Everything does not turn together… it is an unwinding and everything finishes together.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.