Trying to unlock the turn

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Trying to unlock the turn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jtgolfer May 23, 2016
    I saw Peter Kostis’ analysis of Spieth’s troubles and thought “I do something like that, too.”

Ross, I think I’m in Year 4 of my attempted conversion. This spring I watched good players swing and I know I’m not generating enough power with the turning of my hips. And I probably don’t lead with my feet, ankles, knees enough at the start of the downswing.

On the range I’m thinking of questions, most of which I likely know the answer but maybe something you say will trip a new muscle memory path.

Q1 – Does the left knee/leg stay in one position throughout the swing?
    Q2 – At the very start of the downswing should I be thinking about moving left hip backward?
    Q3 – Are the legs/hips the forces that are going to pull my body around to point left of the target at the finish?
    Q4 – If I don’t finish up on my right toe but instead have a little more weight on the right foot at finish, what am I doing wrong?
    Q5 – Is it possible, at age 62.5, that I’m not athletic/strong/quick enough to get myself through this swing correctly?

Thanks. J.T.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross May 24, 2016
    Hi J.T.

Q1 No, not necessarily. It turns for some golfers and some hold it. It can be used to help keep your weight forward, for those that slide, or let their back leg move laterally.

Q2 Ideally, the start of the downswing is an “entire” unwinding move (like throwing a ball). You don’t have to think about what starts is and the body unwinds from ground up. If, you struggle with starting the downswing, “The Finish Drill” will help teach the feeling of how the “hips” work at the start. Now, for a right hander, the front (left) hip should feel like someone is pulling your left hip belt loop and spinning you around… but I’m not saying the “left hip” does anything alone… the hips/body all unwind together like a rubber band unwinding (if the backswing was wound up correctly).

Q3 Yes, they play a very big part. Again, do the “Finish Drill” and learn which of your muscles fire to accomplish that drill.

Q4 This is not a quick answer and can have many different reasons, BUT in general, a typical correct finish (any golf swing any method), will have almost ALL your weight on the outside of your front foot, with the front foot sole slightly off the ground. Very little weight is on the toe of the back foot at this point just for balance. I would have to see your specific reason for not completing your downswing. Some golfers have to modify their setup (flare out front foot at setup), to allow them to rotate to the finish of the front foot. The “Roll your Feet” video can show you a little more how the front foot should look at the finish.

Q5 I don’t think age has anything to do with it. Sometimes physical limitations play a part, but there are some adjustments that can be made to help allow the turn to complete.

DaveF May 28, 2016
    I was thinking the same thing, that maybe I’m just so “athletically challenged” I’d never get it.
    I used to either be all arms or I’d be literally falling out of my stance when I tried to turn my hips.
    The Impact Drill has been huge in that regard.
    Yesterday I thought my turn issues had returned.
    I looked at video and it was my shoulder turn as Ross indicates in Q2 – not winding the shoulders correctly.
    The less I move, the better I get!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.