The Open

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hey Ross,
    Hope you’re doing well!
    It’s The Open time and everything I see on TV is showing me how to make a little shot that runs up on the green like they use in Ireland. They take a 7-iron, put it back in their stance, hit the ball it bounces a couple of times, and rolls to the hole. Do you have any pointers using the Ross method to replicate this type of shot?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 16, 2019
    Hey Dan
    Doing Great. Great to hear from you. I don’t have any exact pointers for the shot you’re describing, but in general that kind of shot is about using your imagination. You want to imagine the entire trip the ball will take. Imagine the ball in the air, landing on the spot that will allow it to roll and finish at or in the hole. This line you’re imagining, must allow for the break once the ball starts rolling. One way to practice the shot, is to actually throw a golf ball underhanded to your spot, at the speed needed for the ball to land and continue rolling and stop at the hole. By throwing and practicing like this, you’ll develop an imaginary “feel” for the speed and trajectory to get the job done. Then next time you’re actually playing and you have a pitch/chip shot, think back to your underhand practice and I’ll bet your result will be improved. Keep in touch.

Dan Jul 16, 2019
    Ross, Good that you’re doing well. Years ago you showed me the toss for “feel” and how to use a wedge around the green for most of my needs. So, typically I reach for my 56deg. and it serves me well. Now, I’ll put in some practice to learn how to keep the ball lower with that wedge or use a less lofted club to get the effect the feel of the shot seems to call for. Nadine says hi to you and Barb.

Dan Jul 16, 2019
    Ross, it just dawned on me how to get a lower running shot with my 56deg.! You showed it to me. It’s the opposite of the shot that pops over a bunker. I just need to close the face slightly and put the face of the club on the ball to take my stance, right? It’ll come out lower and run a little bit. Sorry, I had a lapse of memory there. Thanks.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 16, 2019
    Yes. Or you can change clubs to change loft. Personally, I prefer just one (56°) and make it do what I visualize.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.