The lie (and falsehoods of the game)

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A The lie (and falsehoods of the game)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dan Sep 23, 2017
    Hi Ross, just a question about one of the nuances of the game. On any course and several times during a round I find my ball in a bad lie, e.g., in front of a tuft of grass or in a depression in the grass or in a divot, etc. I realize there are many variables to every shot but I thought perhaps you have some general rules to follow regarding bad lies. Even something like mental attitude might be helpful. Ultimately, I need to go to the range and practice hitting from various lies, but if you have suggestions even for practicing that would be helpful. Thanks, Dan

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 24, 2017
    There are many different situations, but in general hit the ball first if you can. Also, the shaft must be in line with the front arm through impact to have a solid shot (no flipping). Now a buried lie in a bunker is different… you want a “dig sole” or think of a slightly closed club face to remove all the bounce to let the club go down through the sand and kind of gouge the ball out.

Dan Sep 24, 2017
    Hit the ball first and shaft in line with the arm. Well, I try to keep the shaft in line with the arm but my normal swing is a dragging motion – dragging the club through and almost sweeping the ball off the ground. So making sure I hit the ball first is sometimes a little difficult. I’ll work on it..thanks.

Ed_Blackburn1 Sep 25, 2017
    Try hitting off pine straw without hitting the ball first and you will really see Ross is talking about. I think that is the only way you can do anything with the ball off that stuff…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.