Skying the fairway woods

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Skying the fairway woods

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Apr 04, 2021
    Have been enjoying my fairway woods shots lately till today Easter kitty when it started going off to the sky. This cost me some shots on par 5s and short on one long par3.
    Please what should I watch out for in my address and swing.?
    I want to go the range tomorrow morning. I use your address clubhead and ball in front of left foot.
    Thank you for your support.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 04, 2021
    A ball that is hit high or skied happened because you stopped your body rotation and flipped the club head through impact. This will pop up the ball. You need to keep your body rotating through impact, while maintaining the shaft in line with the front arm and flat back of the front wrist (or bowed out) as you make contact with the ball. The “Fixed Wrist Drill” can help teach you how to stop flipping.

Femgolf1 Apr 04, 2021
    Always grateful for your quick response. I will keep to the lesson irrespective of the pressure on course. Maybe tournament pressure was responsible. Your method guarantees consistency. I know I will get it back pretty soon . Thanks Ross.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 04, 2021
    Sure, it is always good to know what causes particular nuances in golf, so you can quickly get back onboard with your confidence.

Femgolf1 Apr 06, 2021
    On bowing of the left wris sir, I grip fairly strong. Is it after the griping that I try and bow / flatten the left wrist or I keep it bowed right from gripping which kind of extends or down cork the radial joint? I find it difficult to bow or flatten the left wrist with the slightly strong grip I am using now. I want to cooperate with everything and anything that will help me out of FLIPPING. Please help with this CRUCIAL issue.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 06, 2021
    First: Use the search function to look for posts using the word Flipping for information. Flipping is not a quick fix. Every golfer is different. For many flipping was their source of power to hit the ball. Essentially, we are replacing flipping at the ball, for “rotation while holding”. The more you practice learning to make contact with the ball with your body turn vs throwing the club head… you’ll replace the need to flip and trust that you can move the ball (in the desired direction) just by rotating. The Fixed Wrist Drill helps with this and is a great shot to have on the course.

Femgolf1 Apr 06, 2021
    You made my day with the speedy response sir. You restored my confidence in what I have been working on for about a year now when I became your disciple. The phrase ‘ROTATION WHILE HOLDING ” is so instructive and more convincing is the word “TRUST” the ROTATION ALONE that it will do the striking better if properly understood and done without trying to hit. In fairness to your lessons and my efforts my golf has really improved and I play it even like the pros. I am very happy with my game. These questions and clarifications are just to understand better the things to do right and be convinced that they are the right things to do. In our environment every unconventional change is often criticized. So you have to be sure so that you may stick with it even when you’re still struggling. I thank you sir for your PATIENCE with us….your troublesome disciples.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.