Shoulders only backswing

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Shoulders only backswing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Jun 17, 2020
    Dear Ross, I wanna appreciate you for your practical ways of making this very difficult game of golf easier with your repeatable and effective methods.
    My golf has really improved. I think I can play on any course in the world now with reasonable scores.
    I keep both arms straight at setup and interestingly with the back arm kept straight continuously in the backswing it helps to torque me up and only bends a little as I struggle to continue to keep it straight. Then I initiate the downswing only feeling that the arms are still horizontal. I am afraid to allow the arms to go up as I feel this would mean that the hands have taken over to lift the club. I see the arms up with tour players and right elbow bent. This is where I begin to wonder whether there is a way to get the hands up with only the SHOULDERS that i am not doing. Please your advice as I want to derive the optimum results from your method and I am ready to give it all the needed time for practice.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jun 17, 2020
    All golfers arrive at the top of their backswing at different heights. Many more flexible players can turn their shoulders farther and arrive maybe a bit higher. This does not necessarily equate to improvement. In many cases, high arms on the backswing, means at some point the arms did lift independently and disconnect. This may look powerful, but more often leads to problems. An efficient backswing using my method, uses the shoulders to move the arms/club up around the spine. Again, everyone gets to different points along this path and then they’re finished. Also, once the shoulders turn as far as they can, the shoulders then turn the hips a little to complete the backswing. With my method, the hips do not turn themselves on the backswing. They’re turned via the shoulders winding up. The hips will definitely be use to start the downswing to unwind the body.

One other thing to keep in mind about your comments above. I do have a Straight Arm Drill to help teach my students how to use Large Muscles to move the arms/club, but that is only a drill. In a full swing, the back elbow will bend a little on the backswing (no more than 90°) … and then on the downswing, the front elbow will bend down after impact, as the back arm straightens out (for most shots). Some advanced shots may have differences with elbows bending or not.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.