Ross Move

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anthony225 Oct 06, 2020
    One of the challenges I have faced regarding consistency is to not swing out at the ball especially with the driver. I can swing ok when the ball is not there but in an actual shot I sometimes swing out at the ball causing either a hook or slice. It kind of feels like a lack of trust that the ball will get hit if I just turn and let the club “fall” closer to my body through the diwnswing. Hard to break this habit.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Oct 06, 2020
    I think if you could visualize 2 things (Keywords) just before you start your backswing (watch the Pre-shot Routine series “Keywords”). The 1st, using your shoulders for the backswing… and then facing the target for the 2nd. You can take the thought of trying to hit at the ball out of the swing. The Pre-shot Routine uses 3 keywords… 2 keywords works just fine. You want to get away from thinking too much before and during the swing. Backswing visualization… Finish visualization.

Anthony225 Oct 06, 2020
    Thanks Ross. I’ll try to change my focus. I do tend to focus on other things like keeping my right wrist back, unwinding, and bringing elbows down in front of hips. Maybe thats too much.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Oct 07, 2020
    At the range, when you practice, you can think of the wrist, unwinding etc., but you want to forget about those things when it is time to take a shot. You want to practice your Pre-shot routine, that is not about making swing changes. When you play, you want your swing to be automatic and you get what you get. Then work on specific issues at the range. Your Routine is critical for playing the game with consistency.

alanschulte Oct 09, 2020
    I remember seeing an interview with John Stockton about shooting a critical free throw. He said he tried to control his posture and breathing. Nothing else and he did pretty well in his sport.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.