Pitch vs. Chip

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Pitch vs. Chip

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JW66 Aug 17, 2018
    This may be a dumb question, I mostly pitch but the other day started trying your chip method. It occurred to me that altho it’s like the putting stroke the setup is our normal swing setup. I tried that setup and also setting up like a putt and both worked well but the putting setup may have been a tad more consistent. Seemed logical to me! Sometimes trying to pitch from close to the green is difficult and this chip seems to be more controllable. I have practiced pitching a lot and it has taken me a long time to get confident and not flip except for those short distances .

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 17, 2018
    Chipping can be used for short distances only, because the shoulders can only move so far forward and it is too easy to try to add with the hands (flip) for longer distances. That is why I prefer the pitch shot. I think you can be just as accurate with the body rotation once you can control any flipping. The pitch is essentially just a small version of the full swing. The Fixed Wrist Drill is great to practice this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.