Passive WRISTS

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Passive WRISTS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Mar 13, 2021
    Dear sir, I have not been doing as well as I expected with my irons compared to how well I am doing with my driver. I am satisfied with my drives, straight and long enough for my age particularly when I use shorter backswing.
    One of the reasons out of many is I cant differentiate between passive WRISTS and fixed WRISTS which you teach. I lock/ fix my WRISTS with my driver but everytime I watch the Ross move video I see the WRISTS work. If I lock the WRISTS with my irons I get frustrating results. I know I must be doing some things wrong. I need clarification and assistance. My irons shots are not making me happy. My distances are poor and my ball striking is not pure. Please help me as usual.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Mar 13, 2021
    Sorry for the confusion. There has been much discussion here. Read… https://movelessgetgood.com/to-hinge-or-not-to-hinge/ to understand the difference … then search “wrists” and search “hinge” here at the forums to read more. Ideally, removing hinging improves ball striking if done correctly.

Femgolf1 Mar 13, 2021
    I also grip firm putting reasonable pressure on the left thumb enough to keep the WRISTS fixed as well as TEMPLATE intact. If I dont grip firm the WRISTS want to smuggle itself into the swing. Is this right or I am indirectly compromising/ cocking the SHOULDERS TURN. Maybe one of the things I am doing wrong.?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Mar 13, 2021
    I’ve found the an even, constant grip pressure, that can maintain the shaft inline with the front arm is most reliable. Keep in mind that at impact, the hands are just holding the club in position, as the body (unwinding) is kind of “dragging” this shape around to the left. The hands and wrists don’t do anything except hold the face square, with the handle slightly leading the club face. The club face should not be passing the handle until after impact.

Femgolf1 Mar 13, 2021
    Thank you my very committed virtual teacher. I was on the range today and I discovered I was too stiff or rigid attempting to keep the TEMPLATE intact and so eliminating GRAVITY. I decided from reading some inputs from the forum that when the SHOULDERS alone are carrying the TEMPLATE it must be HEAVY. This allows passivity in the swing and helped a lot. Reasonably firm grip with SHOULDERS alone carrying the TEMPLATE and so HEAVY and ROTATING through without engaging the hands in the DOWNSWING. I will continue to work on this. My experience today was pleasant. Thanks a million.

Anthony225 Mar 15, 2021
    Hello Femgolf1. What helped me most recently were a couple things. One was to make sure I wasn’t lifting my arms in the backswing. Its hard to see sometimes. In a good backswing, the lifting that appears to happen is when the back elbow runs out of room from the shoulders turning. Lifting intentionally causes problems. The second thing is I improved my finish. Key for me is to not let the wrists go out towards the target after impact. I now feel that my wrists are in the same position at the end of the swing on shorter shots (relative to my belly button). So my elbows are facing kinda of down towards my hips and wrist unchanged at the end of the swing. The wrists and elbows turn with the body to the finish. At the end my right palm is facing left of the target. That little turn at the end (elbows and wrist template) delivers power to the ball. Another feel I use sometimes is to feel that my left elbow is facing down (or facing my left hip after impact) as the template turns with the body to the finish (Ross mentions this briefly in one of the elbows squeeze videos). This helps keep the arms and club from flying away from the body and being out of synch with my turn. From this my distance improved a lot and I now don’t have to turn as hard as I used to for good iron distance. Lastly, make sure 60% weight stays on front leg. Big distance loss if too much weight is on back foot at impact. If I mistakingly use my arms in the downswing it tends to require me to have more backfoot weight to keep balance. You can get away with this sometimes with driver (not consistently) but not with irons!

Femgolf1 Mar 16, 2021
    Thank you so much. I have started noticing improvements with commitment to passivity of arm, WRISTS and most importantly constant grip pressure now not as tight as I used to do. I didnt know I could keep it at4-5/10 till I faced this challenge. Another thing that is helping is keeping the arms FREE of the body@ chest wall. I didn’t know I was still embracing the pressure on the peds and occassionally the armpit till I went back to Ross drills to explore reasons for my flaws. When the arms are free the swing and PASSIVITY becomes easier and of course better results. I appreciate you for your concern. Confidence getting restored.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.