outside In Driver

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A outside In Driver

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anthony225 Sep 10, 2020
    Seem to be struggling with driver path coming outside to in. My backswing seems to be ok but when I start the downswing it appears to be an over the top swing. I seem to be starting the swing with hips trying to feel that my elbows come down back in front of my body but its still going out to in causing inconsistent shots. Not sure how to fix it.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 10, 2020
    Not seeing a video I’d be speculating, but it sounds like you’re lifting your arms vs. turning your shoulders around your spine, so the shoulders don’t really get a chance to move the arms/club slightly to the inside. It also sounds like you’re not focused on what the duplessisgolf method is all about, and are trying to direct your arms/club. If you allow the large muscles to take control and not worry about path (in this case the shoulders turning around the spine, and also the shoulders turning the hips a bit at the end of the backswing)… the arms/club will go where they go on the backswing for your swing. Then, on the downswing, if you just unwind your body and turn through, all should return to impact as you started (unless you change something during the swing, like letting the hands or arms get involved.)

The elbows coming back down in front of your body is a “dynamic” moment that just happens as the body unwinds and the arms are free to be brought back down and around to the left (right hander). If you try to focus on returning your elbows back down in front of your body, more that likely, the body will stop and wait for that to happen. It is not something you “do”, it is just an understanding of where the body parts are during the swing. Focus on Large Muscles … Shoulders on the backswing… entire body unwinding and accelerating for the downswing, all the way to the finish. The ball just gets in the way.

Anthony225 Sep 10, 2020
    Ok. I will continue to try and just let the swing unwind. Seems like with my irons and woods off the ground I dont have this issue as much. I don’t notice a lift when I watch my swing on video but I could be just not identifying it. Sometimes when I try to just let the swing unwind with the driver my hips seem to feel like they get ahead and have to slow down for the arms and club to catch up.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 11, 2020
    If you start the backswing, moving the arms/club using the shoulders only (shoulders get ahead start while lower body resists), you’ll windup the backswing from Top Down. This takes the “slack” out of your back Muscles (like winding a rubber band). Then on the downswing, the hips can’t race ahead. because everything is connected. Also, if you are lifting the arms on the backswing, there will be tension at the top of the backswing, restricting the arms from coming back down, as the body starts the downswing, due to momentum of the lift. The arms/club must feel totally submissive to the shoulders/body control, for them to be moved by Large Muscles. It is like you’re slinging the arms/club “template”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.