Hitting lofted woods

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Hitting lofted woods

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

gazzagtnz Nov 12, 2017
    Struggling hitting lofted hybrid woods on approach to greens….shanking …miss hitting fats shoots…you name it I do it with these very lofted clubs….Up to the 9 Iam happy but from them on I avoid these clubs…
    SUGGESTION PLEASE
    Gary Trethewey New Zealand

Ps. Ross I have totally committed my driving off the tee to your method all the way and what a difference !!!!!
    All my golfing buddies are saying give me a piece of that training for my game and they are asking many question about your method….Thankyou of a new insite and at last Iam enjoying going to the the tee box, for those satisfying long drives up the middle of the fairway.
    Regards Gary.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Nov 12, 2017
    Hi Gary
    I want to know the names of the clubs (and their lofts), that you’re having problems with and where in your stance you’re playing the ball (for each). There are different reasons for shanking and fat shots, so I suspect there is a combination of things going on.

Gary’s reply came to me in an email:

(From Gary)
    Thank you for your reply….My Fairway woods are..Integra Sooolong…The lofts are as follows (9) is 40 degrees…Pitching Wedge is 45 degrees…Lob Wedge 50 degrees.
    Playing positions..Ball..(9) middle right….Pitching Wedge 1ball back from above…Lob Wedge..just inside right foot at address..I am a right handed player.Struggling with these lofted clubs…( So much so that I still carry stranded irons in these lofts as cover)

Ps.Today used your driver set up on 18 holes and never miss a fairway all day,and out drove other players by 40 meters.So l have now dialed in your setup nerver to be left at home again.(Where have you been for the last 40 years, Lol.)Thank you for your advice.
    Gary Trethewey NZ,

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Nov 14, 2017
    Hi Gary
    I’m glad you’ve improved your drives and the main reason is that you moved the ball forward allowing you to rotate freely and pick up the ball as the club is ascending. NOW… I don’t think you’ve spent enough time to learn the DUPLESSISGOLF method which plays the ball much more forward and weight forward to be able to use the body’s rotation and body mass for the source of power (and repeatability). There is no way you can rotate playing the ball in the middle or near the back foot. You should watch in the “Swing” section the “Ball position and the front hip rotation” lesson video to start to get a sense of my method. It is also critical that you setup with at least 60% weight on the front foot and it stays there on the backswing. This will help you make great contact just inside the front foot through impact. Sorry there is no quick fix.

gazzagtnz Dec 20, 2017
    Yes you are right ….Watching the swing videos and practice, things are comming right…With our courses here in New Zealand now drying out with summer conditions would it be a good plan to revert to normal wedge clubs (4) in the bag, rather than the hybrid wood wedges with the extra wide sole making it a little more difficult to get the club under the ball…Your thoughts please…Gary NZ ..

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Dec 20, 2017
    I’d experiment with both and go with what you feel is best for you. My opinion, is learning to use “normal wedge clubs”, will force you to become more precise with your setup and ball position, to make solid, crisp shots off of any lie.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.