HIPS

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Matt Feb 19, 2021
    Ross,

You advocate the hips leading the downswing. Is there any separation in transition between completing the backswing (BS) with the shoulders and starting the downswing with the hips? I was watching the professionals today and even those with short backswings (Jon Rahm) seem to start their downswing (DS) before the club has stopped going back. This looks powerful, but may not be something that you prescribe. My worry is that if the hips are too fast, it might promote a “stuck” position. I have watched the trapping the ball videos and you don’t seem to have much separation between the BS/DS?!

Thanks,

Matt

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Feb 20, 2021
    Golfers that start the down swing with their lower body (hips) before the backswing finishes are:
    1. Not starting their backswing using the shoulders FIRST to remove the slack in their back muscles. SO, they have a need to fix that aspect with the lower body or “hips” starting before the backswing has finished. Essentially they’re creating the windup effect during the backswing… we create it at the very start.

2. Or (more rare)… they are disconnecting and allowing the arms/club to continue moving back or up as the hips are starting forward.

Everyone will look a little different depending on how much they are letting the “shoulders” control the backswing and if they’re letting the arms/club be controlled by the shoulders. Watch the “Ross Move” and the “Ross Move Drill” for more on the hips moving too fast as you say… and getting stuck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.