Golf swing width

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Golf swing width

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Jun 29, 2020
    Dear Golf Professor Ross!
    I read in one of your answers to a question by one Mr. Dave Wade on 12/01/2012 @9:38pm on the topic coming from inside. Towards the end of your answer you mentioned that the entire trip@ the golf swing…BACKSWING AND DOWNSWING with your method is very NARROW.
    Please I need more explanation on this in order to compare with what I am doing at the moment and ultimately improve. Thanks for your usual concern about members game and efforts to see us enjoy better golf game….

RossRoss
    Keymaster

This is the comment Femgolf1 is referring to:

~ I will try in words but a video is in order on this one…
    The reason I said “not good” is that the club does not come from anywhere into the ball. It is not redirected with the hands to be on some arbitrary path or plane on the backswing… or taken away to the inside so it can return in to out. These kinds of thoughts are what have most golfers struggling. If you think the club comes from some direction into the ball, you’ll use your hands, arms or hips to get it to a place in the backswing, that will allow it to return how you were told it should be coming from. This disconnects the arms from the body and loses the athletic connection. You would not see a football quarterback take his arm inside behind himself. He just turns his shoulders back a little the unwinds from ground up. If you are truly using the large muscles, in this case the shoulders, to carry the arms and club up to the top of the backswing… and then all the way to the finish, the arms and club stay essentially in front of the body both directions. What I mean is, as the shoulders turn away 90 degrees, your arms are still in front of your chest extended away from the body, they are not across your chest and behind you. The real key is to not let the arms or hands get evolved. Use the shoulders to push the arms and club to the top and then the athletic unwinding to bring them back down keeping them in front of the body all the way to the finish. The width of this entire trip is very narrow. I will put this on my list for a new video this spring to show you …Ross ~

Ross Jun 29, 2020
    What I’m referring to in this comment is NOT the width of the arc the arms make as the elbow bends a little, it is the the width of the distance the arms/club will move with relation to the ball. In other words, the arms/club will be moved more lateral by the shoulders on the backswing vs. the arms moving themselves across the chest and behind the golfer. In the photo below the width I’m referring to will be between the arrows roughly. Every golfer is different. Now you know the “width” I’m referring to.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by RossRoss.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.