From Jim – Fade Longer Clubs

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A From Jim – Fade Longer Clubs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

EmailsToRoss May 13, 2015
    Hi Ross

All my irons are going straight with good distance; however, with my longer clubs (Driver, 4 Wood & to some degree longer hybrids) I am getting a fade. Not a slice just a consistent fade. I know that somehow my club face is opening with these clubs. Could it be that my hips are getting ahead of my club? If so, what should I be focusing on to keep that from happening? The Ross Move drill? Or is there something else I can concentrate on?

Thanks Jim

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Hi Jim
    I would say to focus on the front elbow back at impact. Many times it is the culprit. You setup with that elbow pointing back at the front hip, but then on the downswing, sometimes the shaft gets out of alignment with the front arm, and by impact the front elbow is pointing at the target, with the shaft parallel to the target line (this is not right and will need a fix by impact… result, is the face opens (various degrees).

When I make the most solid contact through impact, I do not feel like the shaft is parallel to the target line just before impact, I feel like the shaft is still in line with the front arm, going left as I rotate. Not sure if this makes sense, but it again, possibly (your slight fade), has to do with the front elbow in incorrect position through impact.

Anthony225 Sep 05, 2016
    Does keeping the inside of the upper front arm touching the chest help with this?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 06, 2016
    That is an “old school” thought. I don’t teach that, because just keeping the elbows working towards each other, allows the shoulders to control the arms/club. Now, if that works for you use it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.