Fairway woods setup and swing

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Fairway woods setup and swing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Jul 24, 2020

Follow this new setup:
    This setup for your Hybrids and Woods will make hitting off the fairway a breeze. My method starts by always imagining a straight line from your Front Foot to the Club Head. This straight line, will always be 90° to the target line.
    Setup for Woods & Hybrids – DUPLESSISGOLFSetup for Woods & Hybrids – DUPLESSISGOLF

Once you learn your new setup, just follow my 3 magic words Hold, Shoulders, Hips. Hold your back knee, while you wind your Shoulders around your spine, then start the downswing from ground up, using your Hips and unwinding all the way to the finish. It is essential that you keep the shaft in line with the front arm as you turn and trap the ball. If you flip or throw the club head you’ll pull or hook or top it.

Did you mean the front knee here since above 60% weight is on front leg and so no weight on the back kneel. Please help with this CRUCIAL area of this all important weapon swing. Your lessons transform golf. I testify.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 24, 2020

No, I do mean the “back” knee in the post you’re referring to. Yes, you are correct that at least 60% of your weight should be setup and stay on the front foot during the backswing*, but to help maintain and keep 60% on the front foot, the “back” knee is braced slightly inward to help “hold” you in that position as the shoulders wind up. You should also feel a lot of pressure on the “instep” of the “back” foot. This keeps the lower body anchored to create torque as the shoulders wind up. A common critical error is to slide or drift towards the back foot and allow your weight to move on top of the back foot or even to the outside of the back foot during the backswing… NOT GOOD. You will be stuck with the majority of weight on the back foot and it will prevent you from being able to unwind athletically and you will have to flip to save the shot. It can also cause the ball to go left or hook (for a right hander)

* The weight on the front foot will actually increase on the downswing as you rotate to face the target.

horstie Jul 24, 2020
    I am using the “Gap Drill ” setup on the course . This setup with the club head right behind the ball would feel totally different.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 24, 2020
    The reason this would work, is because when your stance opens (a little) that brings the club head over closer to the ball.

horstie Jul 24, 2020
    Thanks Ross, I’ll give it a shot . (no pun intended )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.