face wind driver

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A face wind driver

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

peter Apr 09, 2017
    Hi Ross,

I am a “follower” of your method.

I find your way of swinging the club very reliable, repeatable and logic.

However, I have difficulties with one particular shot : namely : to hit my driver in the wind.

When I use the recommended setup, the ball flies too high (IMHO).

I am looking for a more penetrating shot (stinger).

Tried to change setup : shorter tee, ball more back in stance, choking down..
    but with the driver, not easy.

Can you give me some advice ?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Peter

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 10, 2017
    Hi Peter
    My suspicion is that you have a “flip” just before impact that is adding loft to the shot. We want the angle of attack on the upswing/ascending into the ball, but if you have a driver with a lot of loft or a senior/lite flex, you will hit it higher than desired … especially if you add a bit of a “flip”. The photo below shows how your front wrist/shaft should look just before impact. Actually the shaft on this driver is a bit soft and it’s lagging, but you get the idea. Look at a video of your impact using driver and see if you can get a straight line with shaft and front arm. You may have the club head flipped. If you don’t, I’d move it back a bit in the stance or maybe consider less loft on a driver so your “effective loft” will be correct at impact to achieve what you’re after. You must be rotating, maintaining the correct shape through impact and around to the left, and not flipping, to get the “stinger” effect you’re after.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by RossRoss.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by RossRoss.

peter Apr 10, 2017
    Thank you Ross for your clear explanation.

I do not think I flip (however, I ‘ve learned there is a difference in what you think you are doing versus what you actually doing…)…

I use stiff flex and keep my left hand strong on the club.

I’ll experiment with “keep turning low to the left”… and keep you posted.

Kr,

Peter

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Apr 11, 2017
    I failed to mention, everyone has issues hitting into the wind. There is only so much you can do. A friend of mine use to hit off of the deck (no tee) and had good results. If you try this, that ball has to be right at the bottom of the swing arc or it won’t work.

Also, you answered above and added a word I don’t use and I wanted to clarify, so others don’t think that came from me or my method … the word “low” Just keep turning and the body’s rotation brings the arms/club around to the left (right hander).

peter Apr 11, 2017
    sorry for my misquote.

Just back from the range and happy to share the following :

using a lower tee and ball on big toe left foot (righthander) lowered the flight and gave best results in the wind.

thinking about keeping my left wrist flat made somehow my hands too active…. old habbits die hard, so I tried not to think too much about that during the swing.
    Also I reduced the loft on my titleist 915D2 10.5 to 9.75. (good tip).

Both actions resulted in a lower ball flight (still straight). Not so sure about extra roll.

Kind of counter intuitive, because bringing the ball closer to my lowpoint (sorry again my own vocabulary), should impart more backspin on the ball… more magnus effect ==> danger of climbing ball.

I will keep playing with those ideas for a while.

Kr,
    Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.