Distance control within 100m

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Distance control within 100m

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jason2010 Sep 02, 2018
    Hi Ross, I found your lesson superb!!!! During the 20 years of my golf life, I have used my wrists flipping around a ball and tried to find good timing at impact. Your method is so easy and more importantly repeatable all the time.

I still have one issue with my wedge shot for 50-100m. I used to control the distance with half shot or quarter shot for this distance control. So my body is not fully turning after impact. With your method, I found the club face is always open so the ball goes to the right. I am not sure I stop rotating my body so the club face is open??

Can you please advise how I can make the club face square so the ball goes to the target line for this short distance?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 02, 2018
    First, watch in the Swing Section “Square Club Face”. Make sure you are setting up with the shaft in line with the front arm and the face is “square” before you take your grip. You may be gripping with the face already open a bit. Make sure you’re not “fanning” or “rolling” your face open on the backswing (keep it square and use only the shoulders to move the arms/club/hands on the backswing). Also, make sure on the downswing, the body unwinding, brings the arms/club back in front of the body, and around to the left, keeping the face exactly how it was at setup. You’ll feel like you’re “dragging” the handle/grip of the club around to the left (for a right handed golfer). Sometimes, gofers unwind on the downswing and leave the arms/club behind and this “opens” the face… keep the face square, with the shaft still in line with the front arm and a flat/bowed front wrist, as you rotate through impact and continue to the left.

Jason2010 Sep 02, 2018
    Thanks for your prompt reply! I am pretty confident following your method as I found this move is repeatable.

The only thing that I am wondering about is whether the finishing posture should be same for any distance shot. I tend to stop my body rotation at around 1 o’clock to the target line usually when I shot for for the short distance within 100 yd. Do you think this should be fixed by rotating my body fully so my chest aiming to the target line?

Please advise the finishing posture related to the shot distance.

Jason2010 Sep 03, 2018
    In your finishing posture, is your chest and belly always aiming to the target line even though it is a short distance shot less than 100yd? Is your wedge shot distance controlled by backswing arc?

***I am not able to find “Finishing drill” which is mentioned in other few posts.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 03, 2018
    Yes they finish “at” or even “left” of the target. Always “complete” your rotation even if it is a short shot. To control your distance rotate faster or slower, but always complete your turn to finish at or left of the target. Don’t think about taking the club 1/4 back or 1/2 back (that does not work)… again it is about your rotation speed. Just let your shoulders take the club back a little then practice rotating through at different speeds. You can change the results with different length backswings and different speeds, but that is a very advanced discussion. It is not finishing drill it is the “Finish Drill” it is in the Practice Drills Section the second Drill.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Sep 03, 2018
    as for your question:

(Thanks for your prompt reply! I am pretty confident following your method as I found this move is repeatable.

The only thing that I am wondering about is whether the finishing posture should be same for any distance shot. I tend to stop my body rotation at around 1 o’clock to the target line usually when I shot for for the short distance within 100 yd. Do you think this should be fixed by rotating my body fully so my chest aiming to the target line?

Please advise the finishing posture related to the shot distance.)

Yes it should be fixed, because when you stop too soon, your arms continue and you pull the shot… or if your arms don’t continue and you block the shot… or, you’re aligned incorrectly to begin with. Sorry it is kind of complicated. Just finish completely. Let your rotation speed dictate the distance… just like tossing underhand.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.