Ball bound

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

upsman Jul 21, 2021
    I’ve come to the conclusion I’m ball bound, I will take a practice swing and I brush the grass ahead of the ball, but my swing error is thin or I will “pick” the ball. If I think hit front of the ball that works and I will make good contact. Do you have any advice for this? I don’t have the problem with a ball on the tee, I swing right through the ball. Thanks!

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 21, 2021
    I sounds like you are flipping. You are using your back hand to help. This can happen for many reasons, but I will focus on two.

#One reason: You are subconsciously change your wrists on the backswing. Maybe rolling the face open or more than likely, hinging. Then on the downswing, you will have the need to do the opposite (to undo what you did on the backswing), and many times that turns into a flip (throwing the club head into the ball at impact… thin and picked shots). Fix: Learn to setup correctly and use only the shoulders to execute the backswing, keeping the hands fixed. This takes practice (see the Fixed Wrist Drill). This will help oliviate the need to throw the club head and allow you to just hold the correct shape and let your body rotation, accelerating, move the ball. It feels more like dragging the handle of the club to the left using your body turn (for right-hander).

#Two reason: You are raising up through impact. Raising up happens from not setting up “Athletically” in “Balance” to start with. This is usually from bending over to get down to the ball in a non-athletic way and then not being able to maintain that “out-of-balance” setup during the swing, so you raise up to “right yourself” (the body finds balance for you). Fix: Learn to setup “Athletically”. Watch “Athletic Setup” and “duplessisgolf Setup” for help.

upsman Jul 21, 2021
    Thanks Ross, I’ll get to work on both those things, appreciate it!

upsman Aug 03, 2021
    Hi Ross just wanted to let you know your advice worked, for me it was not taking an athletic setup, I’ve been doing the stop and turn drill every morning, 20-30 balls and will even do that on the course. 6/7 fairways hit and 6/9 GIR, big improvement! Thanks for your advice!

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Wow… awesome! It is surprising how removing the ball (the stop rotate drill) frees you up to accelerate to the finish. Great improvement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.