Avoiding flipping and a better ROTATION to FINISH

Home Forums Ask Ross or View Student Q&A Avoiding flipping and a better ROTATION to FINISH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Femgolf1 Jul 30, 2020
    I read in one of the many comments in this platform that one may keep the left upper arm attached and pinching on the chest wall THROUGHOUT the backswing and particularly the DOWNSWING to help through this ( prevent FLIPPING and help ROTATION ) Can I therefore continue to focus on this left arm being connected with shaft in line THROUGHOUT the swing along with constant grip pressure and “TURNING – through ” mentality? I will appreciate your thoughts on this please. I am one of your devotees and I am improving.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Jul 30, 2020
    If you read a comment about left upper arm attached… it was made by someone else and I may have commented on it. I don’t teach that. I do mention keeping your elbows towards each other, forming a kind of Template that the shoulders can move. As far as the shaft in line goes… starting with the shaft in line with the front arm, helps return it back to impact, where it is crucial that it be “in line with the front arm” for a solid golf shot. Sometimes for different shots you’ll want to continue past impact with the shaft still in line with the front arm, but in most cases, after impact the shaft will line up with the back arm and eventually (when the wrists hinge at the finish of a full swing) the shaft is not in line with either arm.

Femgolf1 Jul 30, 2020
    Thanks a lot for this prompt response. Sir, please with the TEMPLATE, confirm that the shaft have to be in line with the left arm strand bowed left wrist THROUGHOUT the swing (backswing and DOWNSWING ) so that I focus on the straight left arm on the range.
    I tried it today and I was getting unprecedented distances.
    I need your comment for confidence.

alanschulte Aug 01, 2020
    Calvin Peete and Jordan Spaeth played with less than dead straight left arms.

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 01, 2020
    (To answer Femgolf1 question above)… Your “front” arm or “left” for a right hander should be straight at setup… stay straight (if possible) throughout the backswing and back down into impact position. Many golfers bend their front arm slightly at the top of the backswing, then straighten it back out before impact. This is okay, but is just one more variable to worry about. A flat to bowed-out front wrist throughout the backswing into impact, is also the most reliable position (I believe). I think cupping the front wrist at setup, or at the top of the backswing, to be the cause of many problems, because it will need to be flat or bowed out by impact… it is too unreliable (and has no benefit).

DaveF Aug 08, 2020

Hi Ross. Hope you’re doing great. Haven’t posted in a long time because I’ve been working hard on the swing. Still a struggle but significant progress. Glad to see this discussion thread because that’s why I am here. I can’t seem to land on a consistent Left wrist position as it relates to whether the thumb is flat and in line with the wrist or slightly angled as in cocking it upward like giving a “thumbs up” ?? Looking at the videos you have a slight cocking of the left, vs the Moe Norman type straight line bent down and in line with the arm and wrist position.Hopefully I’m explaining this well enough but I’m sure you know what I’m attempting to say. I’m fighting the old instinct of wanting to cock the Wrist upward whenever I attempt to keep the left arm from breaking too much in the backswing which people are pointing out that I am in fact doing. I am leaning toward Working the “Moe” position because centrifugal force wants to straighten the arm And hands at impact. On the other hand, really hard for me to execute it consistently. Also, when I bend the wrists a bit upward It feels stronger (per your drill) but it also results in me activating the hands and also the arms a bit at impact.

So I guess my question is (sorry for the usual verbosity), is it terrible for the wrists to cock up/down a bit as long as they stay cupped through impact?

RossRoss
    Keymaster

Ross Aug 08, 2020
    Nothing is “terrible” if it is repeatable and effective. Ideally, through impact, the front wrist will be flat, to bowed out, and the back wrist will be bent-in or cupped-in (using your word), to help hold the shape through impact.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.